Sunday, August 05, 2007

the evils of velvet

I was previously aware of the evils of satin but have only recently become fully versed in the evils of velvet. I have a mountain of velvet that I bought at a Lincraft sale - back in the good old days, when Lincraft still stocked fabric. It's been hanging up in my cupboard for about 10 years I reckon, and I just figured out one use for it - fabulous velvet cuffs. There were about 5 failed methods before I found this one that works - I had an idea for combining velvet and thrifted silk ties but couldn't get them to play nice together. Shifting and sliding, bunching and gathering. Abandon ship! Ribbon on velvet - same problem. Finally, a quilting foot and vintage cotton print border manage to save the day. And I really like the effect. Also it seems to be an acceptable use for these garish rhinestone buttons that were clearly thrifted on some very deep instinct... Anyhow, I've listed some on etsy if you want to take a look.

No comments: